In early 2004, Ercros began operating an animal food phosphates plant in Valle de Escombreras
(Cartagena), which replaced the old plant in El Hondón, in the same town, which was closed in December 2001.
The Company’s industrial presence in Cartagena dates from 1903 when Sociedad General de Industria y Comercio built a
plant in the El Hondón area. In 1927, this company was acquired by Unión Española de Explosivos S.A. (UEE), subsequently Unión Explosivos
Río Tinto S.A. (ERT). A few decades later, in 1989, following its merger with Cros S.A. to form Ercros, the plant became part of the Fertilizantes
Españoles S.A. (FESA) subsidiary. This situation continued until 1993 when it was transferred to a newly established company, Potasas y Derivados S.L.,
where it remained until its closure.
As part of the development of the Cartagena facility, on February 25, 2002, Ercros established a new company, Fosfatos de
Cartagena S.L., which holds title to this facility and is responsible for commissioning and operating it.
Links on this page::
Animal Feed Division
Cartagena production facility