New materials for a more sustainable planet
ErcrosBio, the truly "bio" bioplastic, both in its origin and end product
ErcrosBio is a new family of polymers based on aliphatic polyesters (PHA and PLA), which is:
- Biobased, as originates from a biological material.
- Recyclable, as it is suitable for conversion, after use, into raw material for the manufacture of new products.
- Biodegradable, since, under certain conditions and with the help of living organisms, it completely degrades into natural elements (carbon dioxide, water, minerals and fertiliser).
- Compostable, as it decomposes above 90 % in six months, under certain conditions that advance the natural processes of biological decomposition.
- Sustainable, as it has a low carbon footprint (between 3 and 10 times less CO2 emissions per kg of polymer than most common plastics, according to Plastics Europe).
Its plastic properties have the technical potential to replace many of the most commonly used plastics.
What is it used for?
ErcrosBio meets the requirements of processing and final properties, and can be applied in extrusion, extrusion-thermoforming, injection and injection-blow moulding.
It is used for the production of a wide variety of end products in the food, automotive, construction, etc. sectors, such as:
- Food and non-food packaging.
- Coatings and profiles.
- Bumpers, dashboards, controls, hubcaps, etc.
- Threads for 3D printing.
- Catering and household utensils in general.
- Woven and non-woven materials (nappies, wipes, clothing, household and upholstery).
- Medical and surgical material.
- Mobile phone, computer and CD cases.
Products and trademarks
In marketing phase:
- ErcrosBio L, based on PLA (which in turn has LL, LM and LN varieties).
- ErcrosBio PH, based on PHA.
In R&D phase:
- Resin based on PHA and PLA (aqueous dispersions).
- Resin developed to comply with European regulations on single-use plastic (SUP).
Ercros markets products from the ErcrosBio family under the following brand names:
- ErcrosBio® PH
- ErcrosBio® L
- ErcrosBio® LL
- ErcrosBio® LM
- ErcrosBio® LN
ErcrosBio L, suitable for 3D printing
The ErcrosBio L family is based on polylactic acid, which is obtained by the polymerisation of lactic acid/lactide, previously obtained by fermentation of natural materials such as glucose or sucrose.
ErcrosBio L is available in three varieties: ErcrosBio LL, ErcrosBio LM and ErcrosBio LN, each with their respective series and products, so that you can find the one that best suits your specific needs.
Additional benefits exclusive to this family:
- Mechanical properties similar to PET and PS.
- Similar processing to conventional polyolefins.
- Heat sealable at lower temperatures than polyolefins.
- Printable without surface treatment.
- Resistant to aqueous products and grease.
- High Young's modulus (suitable for high loads).
ErcrosBio L properties
For more information on the different varieties of the ErcrosBio L range, click on the product you are interested in.
Degradable in water and home composters
ErcrosBio PH is the family of aliphatic polyesters produced directly by fermentation of natural materials by Gram negative bacteria (intracellularly) based on polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA).
This family is marketed under the product ErcrosBio PH 016.
Additional advantages exclusive to this family:
- It degrades quickly and easily, both aerobically and anaerobically, in different media.
- By breaking down in the sea, it contributes to fighting marine litter.
- It can become compost in domestic and industrial facilities.
Properties of ErcrosBio PH
For more information click on the product name.
Request for information
If you would like more information about this product or want to contact our technicians, you can do so here.
Ercros certifies the quality, safety and environmental friendliness of the manufacture of this product, and is adhered to voluntary agreements that endorse its commitment to CSR and customer service.